Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Nat's day

A typical day at the Singapore Pavilion looks like this:

Visitors stumble clumsily around the little black glass door in the courtyard which has an "Information" sign perched above it. Some peer through the dark windows on either side of the door to find out what to expect before they walk in. Others bob forwards and backwards, not unlike some type of strange ritualistic dance (if only we could discard the huge cameras, waterbottles and guidebooks for a few leaves to make a hula dancers outfit), hesitantly wondering if they should take their next step back into the safety and sunlight of the courtyard or if they should attempt communication with the people at the long grey table inside.

Others walk in, tackling the situation head on and demand "Okay, where's Mike?" A little bit too assertive, or perhaps a yonk to aggressive you might think, but I have to say that there are days when I prefer this attitude to the smirk of the so-called common people. Common people, I say, not because they are really such, but as you will see:

SCENARIO 1

A man doing the strange bobbing dance ritual at the entrance to our Information room. He walks in and asks:

Visitor 1: "Where is the exhibit?"

Nat: "Hi there, the Singapore Pavilion, or rather the exhibit are these three spaces - this information room here, the bathrooms and the courtyard outside."

Visitor 1: "Yup, uh-huh, so like, uh, where's the exhibit?"

I follow on with another explanation. The man looks at the black walls, then turns to take a deliberate 10-second look at me, and a smirk rips across his face.

"Ah riiiight, thank you. Bye!!"

Nevertheless, I find it amusing and interesting to watch the reactions of visitors. For me, it is a survey of human behaviour and reactions to expectations of common things......

SCENARIO 2

A couple walks in, and it looks like they have a mission, as they walk quickly towards the steps at the back of the information room, looking ready to tear down the door at the top of the stairs to find the artist's work.

Fariz or myself briefly explain the lay-out of the Singapore Pavilion.

"Oh, so you two are the exhibit?" they ask, unable to hide their disappointment.

"Well, in fact, all of us in this room are part of and ARE the exhibit, in some way or another. Perhaps you could consider yourself a part of the work at this moment."

"OOOHHhhhhhhhhhhh.........", and they continue to look at the black walls, walk around the table, and search for the artists work, as though they half-expect to see it floating in mid-air.

Sigh.

SCENARIO 3

Visitor 3: "Could we please have a map of the Biennale?"

SCENARIO 4

Visitor 4: "Tell me, do you have adresses of good restaurants around here?"

I wish I did, I think to myself. I'd love to know where I can find hearty Venetian cooking at reasonable prices. But instead, I tell our visitor the bad news.

Nat: "I'm sorry, but we are the information point for the Singapore Pavilion. You might be able to get some information from the people at the Arsenale."

Visitor 4:"Yeah, right, uh-huh....so you really don't have the guide to the best restaurants around this area?"

I wonder, hm, perhaps my English no so good, right?

But on the other hand, there are so many people who demand some sort of explanation and will not leave until you have satisfied their curiosity. They stand with arms folded across their chest, some leaning with their hand placed on the table and tapping their fingers impatiently on the cool grey surface.

"So tell us, who's Mike?"

Some look bewildered, some dissapointed, some amused, some tickled by the idea, some stay on in the pavilion and have a Tiger beer, which has at times inspired them with new theories for Mike. Some leave interesting comments in our guestbook. Others meanwhile (and I still can't decide if its because Mike has inspired an artistic streak in them, or if they are unable to express their reactions in words or if they are simply illiterate) draw....small Mikes, big red roaring Mikes...waves.....dragons...cats...flowers....

But today, was the funniest day of all. About 99% of the people who came to see the exhibit today have asked for information about the city, the Biennale, food and transportation, where to buy tickets for the Biennale, if we sold tickets for the Biennale......

3 comments:

Chubby Hubby said...

Hi Nat,

Good post. I was part of the Singapore delegation that helped set up Mike. I posted some Venice restaurant recommendations on my blog,www.chubbyhubby.net.

Go to the June archive and scroll down to see where we ate when there. Corte Sconta is a 5 minute walk from the pavillion. Not cheap but amazing food. My fave find on the trip though was Ostaria Boccadoro (5405/a Campo Wildman, Cannaregio
tel: 041 5211021).

Good luck. Have a good two months.

Aun

Venice Intern said...

Hi Aun,

Thanks for your feedback! I checked out your blog - now I know that whenever I have the cravings, I can click to your page and be inspired by some of the recipes...and in fact, delicious pictures! :)

Ciao and thanks!
Nat

Venice Intern said...

Do you guys have a patronage card or some discount card for these places?!?

We have been officially invited to the New Zealand Party and unofficially invited to the German Party tonight. YAY!!!

We've been appreciated!

FARIZVENICE